Dick Gabriel on Lisp

When I listened the podcast “Dick Gabriel on Lisp”, I remember some articles that I have already read because all of them said that LISP is awesome and a powerful language. Although is a language so different than others, for the same is special and have a lot of advantages that I don´t know yet, so I want to learn a lot about this language, and I don´t believe that this language is over 50 years old, and I have never known nothing about this, I think is because is not a commercial language like JAVA.

Dick Gabriel is a computer scientist, graduated from Stanford University who started his own LISP company. He mentioned that al first LISP was use to artificial intelligence and then to systems programming.
Also Gabriel talk about macros.

Macro is a function that takes an s-expression as arguments and returns a LISP form, which is then evaluated.

In fact Ruby was inspired by LISP.

The programs in LISP are more aesthetic than others because they use a lot of parentheses, that help to have better order and be easier for the computer make the requests of the program faster and efficient.


The prefix syntax is so useful if we want to make recursive functions.

Although Clojure is a dialect of Lisp, and shares with Lisp the code-as-data philosophy and a powerful macro system, Clojure be part of lisp and have a lot of characteristics of lisp, and I think Clojure is so powerful too, so I will take advantage of this and learn a lot, I know that learn new things will be difficult at first but then will be a good challenge,

Bibliography:


Rich Hickey,"The clojure programming language",Clojure, website: https://clojure.org/
"LISP-MACROS", Tutorials point, website: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/lisp/lisp_macros.htm

Comentarios

Entradas populares